Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

By | February 14, 2021
Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you of serious airborne poisoning.
A carbon monoxide (CO) detector is an important safety device to have in your home. It can alert you to carbon monoxide poisoning, which can’t be detected by your senses but can cause severe illness with symptoms such as dizziness, headache, nausea and vomiting. Make sure CO detectors are placed in the right locations of your home and are replaced at the end of their lifespan.
For each floor of your home, place a CO detector on a wall about 5 feet above the floor and in the same room as a fireplace or flame-producing appliance. You may also want to place one in your garage since the poisonous gas can travel through drywall. If your home has only one CO detector, it should be installed in the main bedroom or in the hallway outside of the sleeping area.
If your CO detector is sounding continuously and you have signs of CO poisoning, find fresh air and call 911 immediately. Emergency responders are trained to identify and treat the symptoms of CO poisoning and firefighters use equipment to find the source of carbon monoxide leaks and stop them.
The general rule is to replace a CO detector every 5 – 7 years. Check the back of the device for the manufacture date.